The auto dealer license in Louisiana is granted by the Louisiana Motor Vehicle Commission. For information on a new or franchise car dealer license, contact them directly at (504) 838-5207. Used car dealer licenses are handled through the Louisiana Used Motor Vehicle Commission.
Find Out Which Type of License You Need:
Your application license will differ if you’re applying for a new or used vehicle license. Within those applications, simply mark which specific type for you require.
Apply Online For Faster Approval
To begin, you must have a permanent location meeting the following requirements:
- You must have a location which is owned or leased, and where the books and records required for the conduct of the business are maintained and kept.
- Your location must have a permanently affixed sign with the exact trade name placed in front of the business and clearly visible from the street or roadway. The minimum size is 4’x4’. A picture must be provided with your application.
- You must have an installed and listed landline phone.
You must provide proof that you meet all local zoning laws and municipal requirements. Details of these requirements can be obtained through the relevant local agencies.
You’ll need to provide garage liability insurance with minimum coverage of $55,000.
The cost of a dealer bond is a small percentage of the total bond amount. The bond cost varies depending on your financial strength, e.g. personal credit.
- To obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes less than 3 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
- Click for a Free Quote
All dealers must obtain a surety bond to get licensed. The bond form is included in the dealer license application.
Louisiana Auto Dealer Bond Amount Required:
- $20,000 (if you sell 119 units or less in a twelve-month period)
- $50,000 (if you sell 120 units or more in a twelve-month period)
- All dealer licenses expire on Dec 31st of each year,
- It is necessary to submit the renewal application and fee before Nov 1st
- If you decide to stop doing business, you must notify the LMVC 30 days after you quit.